The domain of a website could be said to be that first stone on which the entire project is later built. What’s more, without it it would be impossible to start designing, uploading content and even less viewing a website in a browser.
Choosing the domain, buying it and keeping it are essential tasks in a project of this type. But… how much does a web domain cost ? And how is it paid? Did you know that there are different factors that determine its price?
If you have tried to buy a domain and have verified that there are different prices, payment methods and even companies from which to do it, pay attention.
Next, we will solve some of the most frequent doubts when buying a domain.
How much do you pay for a domain?
In case there is any kind of doubt, a domain is the address or URL that you insert in a browser to be able to see a certain web page. For example; https://google.com.
In this sense, it is true that there are many companies that give away domains or offer them below cost price. The surprise comes when they raise the price at the time of renewing it or continually charge you extras for services that you are going to need.
Once you have more or less decided, you should go to one of the websites where they sell domains and find if it is available. If it is, great, you can buy it. But if not, you will have to try new combinations of words until you find the one that best suits you.
When buying it, it is important that you keep in mind that the price is subject to different factors. Therefore, what do you think if we tell you what they are so that you take them into account?
➽ The company you register it with
If you are wondering how much you pay for a domain, the first thing you should know is that the company or company you register it with influences its price, as we have seen.
Currently, there is a wide variety of companies that sell domains. We recommend you choose the one that offers the best value for money in the service. In this sense, you should make sure that the company you decide on is reliable and transparent in its conditions.
For example, with Doominio.com you not only have the peace of mind of knowing what you are paying for, but they also give you clear information and reliable recommendations such as:
- To protect a brand, for example in the case of a Spanish website, it is important to register at least the .com and the .es. Something that not all companies take into account and, later, the regrets come.
- Regarding the private Whois, before it was a PLUS that Doominio.com offered us, since it was included for free assuming the cost. The reality is that thanks to the new European regulations this is no longer necessary, since the data is private from the first moment. So, you know, if they sell you this as an extra and you’re a European citizen, keep in mind that it’s just a must.
- Although they give you the real price from the registration, you also have the possibility of benefiting from a discount on the hosting service. By contracting it annually instead of monthly, you have a discount more or less equivalent to 2 months of hosting. At all times, things clear.
➽ The termination of it
Ideally, use a top-level domain (TLD). These are, for example, .com and .org. Prices vary depending on the finish you choose.
But it is interesting to note that .coms are the ones that have the most recognition. For this reason, it is always suggested as a first option to register a domain under this termination.
➽ The duration of the contract
Another aspect to consider to know how much you pay for a domain is the duration of the contract. Normally, although the domains are registered annually (so the minimum is one year), you can register up to a maximum of 10 years.
On the other hand, if you choose the option to renew for more than 1 year, it will not be necessary to worry about renewing every year (in case it is not automatic). In any case, if your project is long term and you are thinking big, we will always recommend you to expand it as much as possible.
➽ Domain name privacy
Some domain registrars offer WHOIS privacy protection at no additional cost. If you choose one of them, it will not be necessary to add this investment to the final price of the domain. So you will not have to assume the annual fee for this service.
➽ The keywords you include
Finally, in order to determine how much you pay for a domain, it should be noted that the keywords included in it can increase its cost.
That is, if the domain includes very popular and demanded keywords, it will have a higher cost than if it does not include others that nobody is betting on.
So, if you are thinking of changing your accommodation, it is an alternative to consider to save said investment.
And how do you pay for a website domain?
Once you have chosen the domain and the company you would like to buy it from, the process is very simple. It is true that it can vary from one company to another, but the change is insignificant.
So how do you pay for a website domain? Let’s see it!
- Choose the platform from which you are going to make the purchase. As we said, it is the first decision you must make to register a domain
- Check the availability of the chosen name. Enter it in the search engine that you will find and check if you can buy it, or if it is already in use.
- Choose a finish. When performing the search, you will see that the platform returns a list of terminations that you can add to your domain. As we have already discussed, we recommend using a Top Level Domain (TLD).
- Includes the data of the owner. The next step is to add the data of the owner of said domain.
- Select contract duration . Remember that a longer duration can help you save on the cost of it.
- Decide if you want to add a hosting. Most platforms or companies that sell domains also have a hosting service. If they offer you an interesting offer, do not hesitate to accept it.
- Make the payment. Finally, they will ask you for the payment information to process the management and be able to start enjoying your domain.
Is hosting paid monthly or annually?
If when buying your domain you made the decision to add a hosting, it is likely that you have doubts such as the following; How do I pay for hosting? Is a monthly or annual fee better?…
The truth is that, in terms of savings, the ideal is to pay it annually. Most companies offer a much more attractive rate for their plans when the payment is made annually. You can check it in any of them.
In any case, you will see that you have both options. You have complete freedom to choose whether the hosting is paid monthly or annually. You will have to analyze costs, preferences and what is best for your business.